Pages

Monday 8 October 2012

Location 2 Idea

I'm interested in old asylums and their eerie atmosphere. I would love to film in one but most of them have been refurbished, have perished in fires and generally exist on the internet...There would also be the long winded process of getting permission to enter, accompanied with the risks of safety...
However, I do not automatically need to film in one; I could take an establishing high angle long shot of the exterior and film the interior somewhere else! Only if it fits with my idea...
I am inspired by the photographs in these links and hope to shoot some footage of an aged interior where the Ghost could be.

Here are some images that have inspired me:


















More images that have influenced this

Let me know what you think of these locations/images and feedback any helpful info you have of creepy corridors or locations you know of, Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. You may need to upload the pictures directly. The links don't seem to work. :(

    ReplyDelete



  2. I have uploaded the pictures. These are images of real locations. The Ms-en-scene - lighting, texture of objects, placing of objects - through the camera shots and variety of angles, forces the audience/viewer to see the buildings, corridors etc, in an intimidating way - heightening and impacting the atmosphere within the shots.
    I find this research extremely useful, as I would like to use multiple shot types and angles that influence the impression of objects/buildings/characters shot in our opening sequence.
    Here's an example of what I mean:
    A High Angle (HA), Long Shot (LS) at one end of a corridor and character at the other slowly walking closer. The corridor, if lit dimly with lights flickering teamed with the HA, will look intimidating for an audience member – especially with a character facing the camera at the other end approaching – the audience are forced to focus on the character and, as it is a LS, are revealed little about the character intriguing them – adding mystery to the scene. If the shot is prolonged it will build suspense as the character gets closer. Through editing, non-diagetic sounds like creaking to match the foot steps, possibly a slow out-of-tune violin with a heart beat playing – indicating something is wrong, out of place, there is disequilibrium also stimulating the audiences heartbeat – teamed with a cut of the clip – so the characters much closer – would then intensify the scene.
    I hope this example is easy to understand, let me know if I need to explain further or re-word it to make sense, thanks ☺

    ReplyDelete